History of the Protection of Rights without Borders NGO
“The Protection of Rights without Borders” non-governmental organization (Organization) was established in 2009.
It’s a non-profitable organization, which aims at the protection of the human rights, strengthening the rule of law and good governance principals in Armenia.
The Organization is particularly specialized in the reform implementation projects of rule of law, judiciary, as well as security sector.
The Organization is in the capacity of conducting human rights trainings, documentation of human rights violations, conducting of sectoral evaluations, research, as well as practices human rights protection.
The Organization is actively involved in the policy elaboration processes on human rights, judiciary, good governance and security sector. The Organization also provides alternative opinions and remarks on the human rights related draft laws.
The alternative reports, opinions and evaluations presented by the Protection of Rights without Borders NGO are adopted by a number of international organizations (Council of Europe, Venice Commission, and U.S. State Department) and are used by the latter as a reliable source of information. The Organization has successfully implemented long-term and coordinated judicial thematic monitorings, such as administrative justice, military crimes etc., as well as evaluation of courts functioning. The Organization has conducted thematic researched on mental health, probation system in Armenia, problems on penitentiary system, protection of children’s rights, characteristics of the early conditional release before serving the sentence and on other sectoral issues.
The Organization has conducted projects directed at the human rights education for the officer and commanders’ staff of the armed forces, military police representatives, judges, prosecutors and lawyers.
During the period of 2013 and 2016, the Organization has provided free legal consultation on human rights violations. Within the three years, the Organization has received approximately 792 applications from the citizens, based on which, taking into consideration the nature of the presented problems, criminal, civil and administrative applications, complaints (including also reports on the crime) were submitted to the court of appeals and court of cassation.
Since 2013 the organization is providing free legal consultation on cases of human rights violations.
During the past 3 years the NGO had almost 800 such cases based on which judicial representation has been also implemented. Some of those cases are still ongoing.
Since 2009 PRWB has prepared and presented 70 applications to the European Court of Human Rights. Those cases and alleged violations raised in them derive from the following events;
- 7 complaints in relation to citizens who have suffered from police violent acts during the Electric Yerevan events and demonstrations against the raise of electricity tariff on 23 June 2015. 5 from 7 Applications have been already registered by the Court.
- 32 complaints on behalf of the citizens who have suffered from police violent acts during the events of 17 July 2016/. 28 Applications from 32 have been registered by the Court.
- 19 complaints on behalf of the citizens who have suffered from police actions during the events of 16-23 April 2018 in Armenia for democracy establishment.
“The Protection of Rights without Borders” non-governmental organization is member of a number of national and international organizations and networks, particularly:
- Child Protection Network
- Open Government Partnership Armenia
- Open Society Partnership
- Public Group adjunct to the RA Ministry of Justice (until 2016)
- Prison Monitoring Group Conducting Monitoring in Penitentiary Institutions
- Armenian National Platform of Eastern Partnership Civil Society Forum
- Civic Solidarity Platform
Implemented project list Protection of Rights without Borders NGO
You can find informaiton on programs conducted by the Organization between 2009 to 2017 from the attached file.